Typical Program Length
four to six months. This program is basically our normal counselling for couples but more intense in number of sessions, length and even session length. For a lot of couples the damage they have done to their relationship is extensive and the has been lasting. when you ask for this type of counselling we are expecting to put in the effort over a long period of time and to not expect immediate results. Change takes time, but is possible, when you do the right, right things.
- Individual face-to-face counselling sessions in our Langley, BC office to re-establish a foundation for your relationship. This is necessary because of the intensity of the issues and emotions involved in resolving these early problems. For those at a distance we suggest you consider marathon therapy sessions.
- We have developed our counselling/coaching approach around the research of John Gottman, who has spent 35 years studying what works in relationships. This scientific ‘nuts and bolts’ approach to working with couples ensures that you are provided with tools that get results.
- Email interaction and projects.
- Access to a clients only area of this web site to research further into the
You will be expected to:
- Do weekly homework
- Participate fully in all appointments
- Commit to having a better relationship
- Inform your coach if you are not understanding something or if he is missing something
- Understanding personality differences
- How to build passion and love back into the relationship
- How to solve or dialogue effectively about any issue you face
- Learning about love languages and how to discover yours
- How to process failed bids for connection
- Building a shared meaning system that propels you into a more fulfilling future.
Of course, this is only a partial list of what is covered in marriage counselling sessions.
You Will Learn:
- How your personality styles effects your relationship and what to do about it
- How to identify patterns such as the “closeness/distance dance”, “control/responsibility”, “it’s not you it’s me” concept, “Artist/scientist”, and the “conventional vs unconventionality dilemma”
- About simple negotiation techniques
- How to identify and find antidotes for the “Four Horsemen; Contempt, Criticism, Defensiveness, and Stonewalling.”
- About your “Friendship Profile”, the “Conflict Profile”, and the “Shared Meanings Profile”.
- How to resolve the “physiological flooding” and anxious feelings that accompany many relationships
- To successfully dialogue about grid-locked conflicts
- Establish six social skills necessary for effective conflict resolution.
- To love unconditionally with no strings attached
- Stages of forgiveness and how to apologize and mean it
- How to deepen the ‘friendship System”
- How to develop and create a shared system of values and meanings.
If you are ready to undertake these expectations and would like to see the above tools and principles developed in your relationship, call us at 604-539-5277 to set up an initial consultation.
Don’t live in our area? We can still help — see our page on marathon counselling sessions and call us today for further information. We also offer professional advice and guidance on dealing with affairs, depression, addiction, trauma and violent behavior.
Not in the Langley Area?
We offer intensive multi-day marathon counselling or couples workshops in multiple cities across British Columbia and Alberta.
Don’t throw in the towel – your relationship is worth fighting for
Even though it is easy to lose hope in finding a way out, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Our job is to help you find it.