New Three Day Format! Same Amazing Research.
This is going to be a very personal way to learn the Gottman method up close. We only allow a limited number of registrations to improve the learning potential and create community at the same time. You will be learning from seasoned masters of the Gottman method, who have developed their entire practice around this researched based Approach. You will be able to see first hand how their practice has incorporated the method and created a brand that works.
Upcoming Gottman Level 3 Training:
Nov 4, 2024 - Nov 6, 2024
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Level 3: Practicum Workshop in Gottman Couples Therapy
Presented by Lawrence Stoyanowski and Darren Wilk
Certification Training consists of three parts:
Part A : Level 3 Live Workshop
Part B : Certification Consultation
Part C : Post-Consultation Video Review
Level 3 Live Workshop (Part A)
During the Practicum workshop, participants will examine videotaped cases of couples brought in by workshop colleagues. These cases are used as learning and teaching tools to deepen your understanding of when and how to use various Gottman Method approaches and interventions, and how to break destructive patterns and replace them with meaningful interactions. Lawrence or Darren will then demonstrates an assessment or intervention appropriate for that couple’s struggle as role-played by audience volunteers. These demonstrations represent the true resistances and co-morbidities we face as therapists and how we can transform them into effective healing methods for the couple. Following each demonstration, participants have the chance to practice and refine their use of Gottman Method Couples Therapy through participation in role-plays, demonstrations and discussions in a small group setting. Darren and Lawrence and select Senior Certified Gottman Therapists observe each group and offer practical tips and technical refinements for the therapist. No criticism or negative judgment is allowed. Rather, efforts are made to create safety and security for all therapists present in an environment free of criticism and negative judgment.
After each role-play session, Darren Wilk or Lawrence Stoyanowski will lead discussions that include case consultations and nuanced details of the techniques previously demonstrated and provide guidance in developing a roadmap for clinical decisions.
There is no better way to learn how to apply the Gottman Method than this workshop.
Video Participation: Case Discussion in Certification Practicum
Participants are asked to bring a short (ten minute or so) video segment (on DVD or USB thumb drive) of difficult and challenging couples to the Level 3 workshop. The therapist’s work with the couple will not be critiqued; in fact the video does not even need to show the therapist; just seeing the couple is all that is needed. The purpose will be to use these couples to illustrate how the Gottman Method can be applied to these tough cases. Darren and Lawrence will describe how they would treat these couples and then participants from the audience will volunteer to role play these couples with Darren and Lawrence demonstrating using a variety of interventions with these couples. Participants will then have the opportunity to practice using these interventions in a supportive small group setting with other participants’ role playing the couples from the videos.
Bringing a video tape isn’t required, but it will help make the training more meaningful for everyone. If you cannot bring a taped segment, it would help to bring a brief written description of a challenging couple for the same purpose. This is for Case Discussion within the context of Certification Practicum ONLY and is not related to the videotaped interventions submitted for final Certification Review. Note: Unfortunately, we are not able to support the following formats: Mini DVD’s, “High-8,” alternate or nonstandard international formats, such as “Super-8.”
Participants working in the following fields will benefit from this training
- Mental health providers
- Allied professionals and clergy
- Family clinic staff
- Professors/teachers of couples therapy
- Employee assistance professionals
- Clinicians who have previously completed Level 1 and Level 2
To Register and Receive the Certification Application
Please email “+link+” and ask for the application to be emailed to you.
Certification Track Information & Application
The Certification Track is for clinicians who intend to become Certified Gottman Therapists. To Enter the Certification Track, candidates must have:
- Master’s or doctoral degree in a mental health-related field
- Licensure or certification in a mental health-related field (in the state or province in which you practice)
- 1,000 hours post-degree therapy experience
- Completed Level 1, 2 and 3 Training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
You are encouraged to submit your application to the Certification Track before attending the Level 3 Live Workshop, so that you’ll be able to begin your consultation shortly after the Level 3 training.
Recommended Prior Experience for Certification Track Candidates
Many clinicians wonder what characteristics the most successful Certification Practicum (Certification Track) applicants possess. After our first decade of training therapists throughout the world, The Gottman Institute has identified several key indicators that may be helpful in determining your personal readiness.
At the end of this workshop participants will understand how to:
- Effectively use the Oral History Interview during a couple’s assessment and understand its implications
- Clearly explain to a couple their strengths and challenges in terms of the “Sound Relationship House”
- Help partners identify their own “Four Horsemen” and understand the antidotes
- Select and utilize appropriate tools to help a couple deepen their “Friendship System”
- Clarify a couple’s conflicts in terms of solvable, perpetual, and grid-locked problems
- Use the “Dreams Within Conflict” technique to help a couple feel hopeful and to achieve break-through with their perpetual conflict
- Successfully intervene when one or both partners are flooding
- Help a couple reach solutions using the Compromise Ovals intervention
- Sensitively intervene when co-morbidities are present
- Master’s or doctoral degree OR current enrolment in a graduate program within a mental health-related field
- Completed Level 1 Live Training or DVD Home study*
- Completed Level 2 Live Training or DVD Home study*
- Therapy experience highly recommended, but not required
*If you choose the Level 1 and Level 2 Home-Study option, we must receive your Assessment of Knowledge for each level no later than September 1st.
Apply to the Certification Track
To become a Certified Gottman Therapist, you must apply to the Certification Track, complete Consultation (Part B) and pass the Post-Consultation Video Review (Part C) after attending the Level 3 Workshop. Clinicians in the Consultation Track will be matched individually or in small groups with a Gottman Consultant.
Certification Consultation (Part B)
What happens during consultation?
Following the Level 3 Certification Practicum workshop, Senior Certified Gottman Therapists provide participants with a minimum of eight individual or twelve group phone consultations over a period of up to two years in order to guide them in applying the Gottman Method with their couples. There is ample opportunity to ask questions and receive input about all phases of working with couples, from assessment and treatment planning through selecting and implementing appropriate interventions selected specifically for clients’ unique needs. Consultants provide feedback on video tapes of therapy sessions and assist the therapist in becoming proficient in the core intervention skills necessary for certification.
- Consultants are assigned after the Level 3 workshop.
- Consultation usually takes place over the phone.
- A minimum of eight hours of individual consultation or twelve hours of group consultation is needed to complete certification requirements, but the Consultant may determine that more consultation is necessary in order for a Consultee to meet Certification requirements.
- The Consultant must review a minimum of three video segments.
- Fees for Consultation are additional and will be paid directly to your Consultant.
- There are no continuing education credits available for consultation.
Once the Consultant is satisfied with the Consultee’s work, the Consultee can submit videos of his or her work for Final Video Review. The videos must show the Consultee performing six specified assessments and interventions with couples from the Consultee’s practice. The videos will be reviewed by one or more Senior Certified Gottman Therapists. A Consultee can re-submit videos up to two times, if they do not pass all six videos on the first submission. Passing video submission then leads to Certification, which and is a recognized demonstration of competence to the public and professional colleagues. It allows you to advertise yourself as a Certified Gottman Therapist and teach Gottman-sponsored workshops, plus many other benefits.
More information about the Consultation and Certification process will be provided during the Level 3 workshop.
Questions? Please contact Laura Heck or call 206-523-9042 x 102.
In addition to the pre-requisites and strong core therapeutic skills, ideal candidates typically possess the following:
- Certification-Track Candidates: the most successful candidates typically have five or more years of post-graduate experience in directly providing clinical outpatient couples therapy and treatment
- Experience working within diverse and/or international environments to include work with minority populations
- Experience working with adult populations in specialty areas that include one or more of the following: domestic violence, substance abuse and recovery, trauma and post-traumatic stress disorders and affective disorders
- Strong clinical experience in directly providing individual therapy within outpatient setting is desirable, though not required
- Ability to consistently manage a diverse caseload of couples within their current practice
- An adequate number of couples in one’s practice to meaningfully integrate the Gottman Method material into ongoing work with couples
To become certified you must complete the following:
- Levels 1, 2 and 3 Trainings in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- 100 hours (documented) of Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Final Video Review
$1300.00 plus GST for early Registration
$1,400.00 plus GST for Regular Registration
Registration day one: 8:50am
Daily schedule goes from 9:00 to 5:00 pm ( refreshments available throughout the day)
Registration fees are refundable (less a $100 administrative fee) when a cancellation occurs 30 prior to the workshop. Cancellations after this date will receive a credit, good for one year, which may be applied to other professional programs put on by Bestmarriages.ca
Read Testimonials From Our Gottman Training
Find out what participants think of our Gottman training workshops.
Don’t throw in the towel – your relationship is worth fighting for
Even though it is easy to lose hope in finding a way out, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Our job is to help you find it.